Harvest of the Month Information:
Carrots are a root vegetable, in the same family as celery, parsnips and dill. Carrots are not always orange, but can also be purple, white, red or yellow. Carrots can be eaten raw or cooked. Shred and add to salads for a great crunch, or bake into breads or muffins. Add to soups, stews or casseroles for a nutrient boost. Carrots are delicious roasted, steamed, grilled, or stir-fried. Carrots are one of the best sources for beta-carotene. The human body turns beta-carotene into vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for the health of our vision as well as our bones, teeth and skin.
Just the Facts
- One-half cup of raw carrots contains 26 calories, 1.8 grams of fiber and is fat-free.
- Carrots are in the Red/Orange Vegetables Subgroup.
- Carrots are low in sodium and cholesterol free.
- Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A (helps fight infections) and C (helps promote healing).
- Georgia Carrots are sweeter because of our climate, that helps the carrots develop more sugar during the growing process.
- Carrots are one of the newest and most popular crops in the Georgia vegetable industry.
- Georgia carrots are grown commercially in the southern part of the state.
Cauliflower is a member of the cabbage family, along with broccoli, bok choy and brussels sprouts. Cauliflower means “cabbage flower”. Cauliflower may be eaten raw or cooked. Add raw cauliflower to salads for extra crunch or eat as a snack with low-fat dip or hummus. Try cauliflower roasted, sautéed, steamed or stir-fried. Cauliflower can also be cooked until tender and mashed or pureed, like mashed potatoes. California produces 90% of the cauliflower grown in the United States
Just the Facts
- One cup of raw chopped cauliflower has about 25 calories, no fat and 2 grams of fiber.
- Cauliflower is a good source of folate (helps the body make healthy blood cells).
- Cauliflower is high in vitamin C (an antioxidant that promotes healing) and a good source of vitamin K (helps the blood to clot).
- Varieties of white cauliflower that grow in Georgia include Snow Crown and Imperial.
- Cauliflower is a cool season crop that does not tolerate temperatures that are too hot or too cold.